1. Foxiapii

Foxiapii Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    I just rescued a light brahma hen. She is extremely malnourished, has diarrhea, has mites, and sounds like she's having breathing issues. What do I do?? What diet should she be on? What do I give her for the mites?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LoveseedFarms

LoveseedFarms Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
    Maybe try game bird starter? It's got more protein than regular chick starter. Oh and for the mites try rubbing some D.E in her feathers (diametaceous earth). Oh but do that outside to avoid making her breathing worse. i hope your pretty girl gets to be as beautiful as we know she can be! I'm sure with your care she will get better soon.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Where did she come from?
    Do you already have chicks or chickens?
    Can you tell us more about her breathing issues - coughing, sneezing, any mucous/discharge from the eyes/nostrils?

First of all, she's a cute chick[​IMG] Second of all, it would be a very good idea to keep her quarantined and make sure you follow some bio-security measures if you have other chickens.

Feed her chick starter or an all flock/flock raiser formula feed and provide her with extra poultry vitamins a few times a week (like Poultry Nutri-Drench). If you want to give her treats, offer a little chopped egg or a small amount fruit or veggies, but make sure she has a source of grit (crushed granite).

Hopefully the diahhrea will resolve itself when she starts to get proper nutrition and gets treated for mites.

Since she has an infestation of mites, treat her with a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray - since she has respiratory issues, a spray would probably be best, this way you could soak a cotton ball or qtip and "dab" or target the areas that need treating (around the vent, under the wings, back, neck, etc.). DE, imho is fine for dust bathing area and use in nesting boxes, etc. as a preventative but it is not that effective once there is an infestation.

Keep us posted.

Here's some info on quarantine and bio-security:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2016/08/biosecurity-for-backyard-chickens.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/quarantine-of-backyard-chickens-why-and.html

Permethrin based treatments:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151513/pesticides-approved-for-poultry

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. Foxiapii

Foxiapii Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017

Her breathing issues are similar to if a human had a congested nose. I haven't seen any discharge yet though. She is in quarantine as of now. At LEAST 12 meters away from all other birds. I have an OEGB rooster, aleghorn hen and 7 chicks.

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Keep her separated for sure.

If she has a respiratory illness, it could be contagious. Since you are seeing no discharge at this time, you can try something like VetRx to see if that helps give any relief to her breathing.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. Foxiapii

Foxiapii Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017

Her breathing issues stopped? Like she's breathing perfectly normal now and I'm super confused.
    EDIT: MY SISTER PUT HER IN WITH MY OTHER CHICKENS WHILE I WAS OUT.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That's good if the congestion is gone - where did she come from - you mention that she is a rescue.

Depends on how she was housed previously - if it was dirty, built up with poop, not much ventilation, dusty, etc., it could have been irritation from any of those. Possible that it could have been from stress and dehydration, or if she had not been fed much, when you offer food to her she inhaled a little bit into her airway causing stridor (like when we inhale a bit of food/water, when coughing it back up it irritates the throat making us hoarse).

Just watch for any further signs of respiratory illness.

If she still has mites, then treat her. Repeat in 7days. Check your chickens over in 7-14days to see if they have any mites, that's about the incubation period of mites. If you chickens are adults/older, healthy and dust bathe regularly, then most likely the will keep the mites at bay. If you do see any, just treat them as well.

8. Foxiapii

Foxiapii Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017

She was kept in a garage with other chickens that a family member of mine owns. Its pretty filthy and there's not much ventilation.
    I could only take her, sadly, but there were 3 other brahma and 3 leghorns too (including can gorgeous rooster who has horribly long nails)

9. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Give her some banana or calcium! It can help! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by