Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MissEllieMae, Jan 7, 2009.

1. MissEllieMae

MissEllieMae New Egg

Dec 20, 2008
    My RIR chick hatched at around 2 this morning [​IMG]
    Problem is, it is now 11 PM and the shell is still attached to it's backside.[​IMG] Will it come off on it's own [​IMG] I mean...it's been 21hours since the hatch [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yes it will come off eventually - if you can break bits off go ahead, but don't pull.

hopefully the chick can stand and such ? if its blocking the poop shute you might wanna moisten it and try take it off gently.

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    You mean to it's back or it's bottom? I'd spray some warm water inside the shell to soften it up then see if you can't work the shell off. But if it's attached at the tummy, could it still be absorbing the yolk? Hmmm.

4. MissEllieMae

MissEllieMae New Egg

Dec 20, 2008
    Attached to it's bottom. I'm afraid to mess with it. I guess I'm a little chicken LOL [​IMG]

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:If its blocking the poop you are going to have to get your hands dirty. [​IMG]

a little warm water, and it should come off pretty easily.

6. MissEllieMae

MissEllieMae New Egg

Dec 20, 2008
    I guess your right. I need to go ahead and get it off. It's not really blocking anything...it's sort of dragging the shell behind it. [​IMG]

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I agree, since it is attached to it's bottom, you must remove it or risk loosing your chick. A little warm water should do the trick.

It's ok, you can do it...... [​IMG]

8. MissEllieMae

MissEllieMae New Egg

Dec 20, 2008
    Thanks a lot for the help [​IMG] I'm gonna get off here and give it a try.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Git 'r done.

10. Sallysitter

Sallysitter Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    Victoria, Australia
    I too had chick hatch yesterday afternoon and I noticed this morning 12 hrs later she had something stuck to her tummy sort of like a new baby when they are born and the umbilicle cord cut off. I assumed this was where the chick absorbed the yolk. I don't think it is near the poop hole either sort of on its tummy. The chick was still wet when I saved it (mother had pushed it out of the nest). I will check again when I get home and see if its still there.

I am interested in any further responses for MEM as we seem to have the same situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by