HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cbutler, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Cbutler

Cbutler In the Brooder

Nov 6, 2017
    Lately my year old female mallard has been having some issues. About a month ago she stopped laying (after laying every day) for about a week, as well as laying an egg that was severely deformed (vet said tubular pregnancy). I made sure she had extra oyster shell in her room, she went back to normal within a few days. HOWEVER, now she is back to not laying and acting VERY not herself. She is always very active and noisy, now she is not. Won't even get in the pond to swim. She is very clingy, wants to be held all the time, just lays on my chest with her head resting on my shoulder. The most concerning part is that she is now walking like a penguin (very full diaper look), and having some form of what looks like lightly bloody mucus/discharge, so I assumed egg bound. We soaked her in a warm bath for about an hour. We moved her inside for the night to keep a closer eye on her, she is in the kennel holding one leg up, with it shaking as if she is in pain. She seems very uncomfortable, won't lay down, makes a noise when you pick her up. I haven't been able to feel any obvious eggs in her tummy, however I may been feeling in the wrong area. ANY suggestions would be great. What can I do to at least make her comfortable for the night? If nothing is better by mid-day tomorrow I am going to take her to a very. Very worried about my girl :(

2. I'm not sure what you can do until the morning but I think I would take her to the vet ASAP. Maybe keep her in a small confined dark place until then. :idunno

chickens really likes this.
  3. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    You can gently feel in her vent for a stuck egg or broken egg with a lubricated finger. Oviduct goes upwards. I had a chicken with a broken egg who acted very off with a messy bottom until I cleaned her out. Otherwise, lots of soft bedding, calcium, fresh water, and rest until you can take her to a vet.

Cbutler likes this.
  4. Update?

5. Cbutler

Cbutler In the Brooder

Nov 6, 2017
    At the vet now. Did X-rays, she’s not egg bound, actually no eggs in her at all. Checked for parasites, came back negative. They gave her antibiotics to take for a week in hopes it’ll clear up whatever is bother other. Vet said her chest and airways all looked clear so no pneumonia or lung problems. Keeping her away from the others for a few days to let the antibiotics kick in. Fingers crossed they help!

Mylied and onaharley like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: