Help

Hengirl12

Chirping
Apr 6, 2018
Sheridan, Wyoming
I have seven baby chicks and a few days ago it started limping and sitting down constantly. It also has bubbles on its feet. It looks like bumblefoot but it has no scab and the bottom off the foot is not hard. I don't want the chick to die.

They are about two weeks old and they got move to my outside coop recently. They have a mix of pine shavings and straw for bedding and the ground here is a muddy mess

The wet ground will make it hard for the feet to heal. Foot pad dermatitis or bumblefoot in older chickens, scalds the feet and it can cause the infection to enter the bone.
Try some ways to get things dried out, ie sand, rerouting water, or keep them confined to dry clean bedding inside. Pine shavings are best, since hay and straw may get soggy and hold water. Poop is extremely caustic to baby chick feet. If you can get a picture of the bubbles on the feet, that would be great.

Wet conditions can also increase chances of coccidiosis.

The wet ground will make it hard for the feet to heal. Foot pad dermatitis or bumblefoot in older chickens, scalds the feet and it can cause the infection to enter the bone.
Try some ways to get things dried out, ie sand, rerouting water, or keep them confined to dry clean bedding inside. Pine shavings are best, since hay and straw may get soggy and hold water. Poop is extremely caustic to baby chick feet. If you can get a picture of the bubbles on the feet, that would be great.

Wet conditions can also increase chances of coccidiosis.
x2. Not only coccidiosis, but a whole host of nasties like giardia, worms, ecoli, staph and no telling what else.

Well I checked on the chick this morning and the bubbles had flattened out and are now green not sure weather this is good or bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20180408_090201_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180408_090201_hdr.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 6
Green from grass stain? I would still think it may be footpad dermatitis, but hard to tell with pictures. I just mentioned ant or bug bites, since they can really hurt baby chicks. You may give the chicks a warm soak in Epsom salts water to soothe the feet, then dry them well. Betadine or plain triple antibiotic ointment can be applied, but keeping them dry and clean is key.

Back
Top Bottom