HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kessel23, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Kessel23

Kessel23 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Ok so I have this white muscovy hen, she is a horrible, horrible, horrible broody. I have had her for the past 2 years, she has gone broody 2 or 3 times a summer, all of them were fails and I blamed myself. Well this time I had everything set up perfect, I had her in a massive dog crate with food and water and a nesting area, she had a clutch of 16 eggs and everything was going well. I assumed that she was getting off to poop but then when I came in one morning the nest and eggs were covered in a ton of disgusting diarrhea! I cleaned off the eggs and started to force her off the nest to poop once a day. This was not enough, she ended up pooping on the eggs again a week later :mad: So I bumped it up to twice a day! I also added a few rouen eggs to the nest because I doubted the muscovies were still alive. She did break a few eggs during the time on the nest and she ate them. Fast forward to a few days ago and I candle the eggs, they were starting to internally pip, surprisingly. I woke up the next morning to find a dead rouen duckling in a bloody cracked egg, I assumed that she squashed it by accident. Then this morning there was a few external pips, I filled up the her water and feed and came back a few hours later to find a bloody dish of water and a dead duckling on the ground, egg shells in the water... It was the egg that had pipped... I snatched the rest of her eggs and took them inside, I have an incubator but I have chicken eggs in there, I put the duck eggs in there but what the heck am I supposed to do about humidity? I have chick eggs on like week 1 and duck eggs that need to be in lock down, I am not going to feed those eggs to the momma duck, what should I set the humidity at?

Edit: the last time this hen was broody I found a hatchling that was forced out of the egg early and across on the other side of the coop, I just thought a rat must have taken an egg and dragged it out there, even though I have no rats... I think I know who really did it now though.

Duck Lover88 likes this.
  2. SavKel&RynKel

SavKel&RynKel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2018
    Bay Area, California
    You need to build a hatching box or buy another incubator. Those ducks won't be kind to those chicken embryos... And the humidity will swing high the whole time they hatch...

Kessel23 likes this.
  3. Kessel23

Kessel23 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Alright, I candled them all and only 1 rouen is still alive, it is pipped. I broke open the rest and most of them look like they died on day 33 or 34. I will block the one egg off from the other eggs.

Duck Lover88 and SavKel like this.
  4. SavKel&RynKel

SavKel&RynKel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2018
    Bay Area, California
    Good luck!

5. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    I would just let her keep sitting on the one if thats what you said…. sorry for the loss of all the babies… I hate it when chicks die that were so close to hatching :hit :barnie

Kessel23 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by