Help!

notsorandom

Chirping
Mar 5, 2018
I that one of my girls is hurt i think its a prolapsed vent what can i do to help her?????? I dont want to lose her...i tried washing it up a bit but didnt want to hurt her

Attachments

• 20180819_124321.jpg
    20180819_124321.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180819_124326.jpg
    20180819_124326.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 10
Yes, that is a prolapsed vent. Can you tell if there might be an egg inside? Prolapse and egg binding can happen together or separately. Isolate her from other chickens so that her vent is not pecked and damaged. Keep the red tissue moist at all times with honey, lubricant, or oil so that it does not dry out. Some use Preparation H cream to reduce swelling, bu honey works well too. Try pushing the tissue back inside, and hold it there for several minutes. If it won’t go back, try again in a little while. Here is some reading on the subject:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

What do i need to get to take care of this? Should i keep feeding her tge laying pellets? Any special medicine?

Did you get the egg out? Did you get the prolapse back in? If she was egg bound, you may need to give her some human calcium with vitamin D, such as Caltrate. Layer feed plus an additional contain of crushed oyster shell is good for preventing egg binding which can lead to prolapse. These are both common in high production breeds of layers.

Yes, she can eat and drink, and you can give some calcium crushed in a treat. Prolapse may happen once or it can happen again. If it happens when you aren’t around, there can be a danger that other chickens will peck and damage her vent. I would try again to push it in, and it may keep coming out for a day or two, but keep trying. To stop her from laying temporarily to let the vent heal, you may place her in a dark room or cage every day for 16 hours, then let her out for 8 hours a day to eat and drink.

Yes, she can eat and drink, and you can give some calcium crushed in a treat. Prolapse may happen once or it can happen again. If it happens when you aren’t around, there can be a danger that other chickens will peck and damage her vent. I would try again to push it in, and it may keep coming out for a day or two, but keep trying. To stop her from laying temporarily to let the vent heal, you may place her in a dark room or cage every day for 16 hours, then let her out for 8 hours a day to eat and drink.
I have her inside in a cat carrier....how do I push it back in? I don't want to hurt her.. she feels cold but I'm not sure if that's because she spilled water on herself I'm really stressing over this I love her soo much

Lubricate the pink prolapse and push it back inside, then hold it in for several minutes while holding her. I would get her dried off with a towel and think about blow drying her. Here is a video where the prolapse is being pushed bak inside, but ignore the end where they place a bandage and sling over the vent:

And another:

Back
Top Bottom