HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuacksALot

Chirping
Jun 26, 2018
hi, I'm going to do this as fast as I can please respond ASAP! my duck looks like she has a blister on her right toe. it's on the side and its filled with puss. my husband thinks its a staph infection. please respond!! I will post pics tomorrow. I'm wondering if she broke something but I've never broken something so I'm wondering if broken bones swell up like this. it's like a balloon on her right toe and my husband gently felt is and it was squishy. the responses i need are:
1) what is it
2) how to cure
3) can I cure
4) medicine and supplies if it can be cured
5) will she die
6) does she need to go to a vet
7) how long can i wait
thanks!

It sounds like common bumblefoot to me? If that's the case: Your bird is not going to die, yes you can treat it, probably won't need a vet, different folks use different methods to treat it.

here's the bottom of her foot. View attachment 1590440
Definitely bumble foot, What I do for my ducks/geese is I bring them inside, have something to entertain me while I soak them for about 30 to 45 minutes in epson salt water(Warm). Make sure they don't try to drink it. After the soak i'd dig the scab out a little, Not too much. And repeat everyday twice a day. All of my waterfowl have recovered from bumblefoot no problem. usually takes a while though.

It does sound like a staph infection also known as, stapylococcus. It is usually a infection in a wound generally caused by a splinter or cut. The procedure for this infection is using antibiotics as a treatment or grape place extract as a feed additive.

Puss would be hard and chunky, not fluid like. can you get a pic of under her foot? Try giving her a 15 min soak in warm epson water everday.. that should help draw out any infection.

Definitely bumble foot, What I do for my ducks/geese is I bring them inside, have something to entertain me while I soak them for about 30 to 45 minutes in epson salt water(Warm). Make sure they don't try to drink it. After the soak i'd dig the scab out a little, Not too much. And repeat everyday twice a day. All of my waterfowl have recovered from bumblefoot no problem. usually takes a while though.
okay. thanks. for how many days do i have to do that twice a day?

thanks! i found out that my other duck has it. i also found out it was from splinters in the hay and some bacteria in the pool.

That's why dumping and refilling the pool on a daily basis is vitally important. Get the splinters removed as soon as possible as well.
Yes. I have a 4,000-gallon pool so, I can't really dump it. It has a waterfall so it filters and the water never turns black. My husband removed the splinters. He thought we should wrap a bandage around it. So we did. The bacteria was on the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom