Help!

mariannegarc

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 16, 2016
This is my 4th batch of chicks I've hatched and I've never seen this before! Will my chick be out? My chicks were over due and this one looks like it could have been really early. Is this her/his intestines by the umbilical cord. What do you think the outcome for my chick will be?

Attachments

• 20190216_081208.jpg
    20190216_081208.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 17
It looks like your chick's umbilicus didn't close properly. If it were mine I would very carefully cut the cords between the chick and shell, then drip some betadine or chlorhexidine on the raw ubilicus area and place the chick in a cup of small container lined with a paper towel. That raw area is not intestines, so don't worry about that. The thing to worry about the raw umbilical area is good place for a bacterial infection to start.

I would cut about half way between chick and shell.
Screenshot_2019-02-16-07-24-02.png

It looks like your chick's umbilicus didn't close properly. If it were mine I would very carefully cut the cords between the chick and shell, then drip some betadine or chlorhexidine on the raw ubilicus area and place the chick in a cup of small container lined with a paper towel. That raw area is not intestines, so don't worry about that. The thing to worry about the raw umbilical area is good place for a bacterial infection to start.

I would cut about half way between chick and shell.
View attachment 1675157

Thank you! I don't have betadine or chlorhexidine but I did snipped and put her/him in a small container with paper towel. I was worried for a second. I was told by someone else that it was deformed and to toss it!!!! All I said was I would wait for it to pass and then I will remove.

Thank you! I don't have betadine or chlorhexidine but I did snipped and put her/him in a small container with paper towel. I was worried for a second. I was told by someone else that it was deformed and to toss it!!!! All I said was I would wait for it to pass and then I will remove.
If it doesn't get infected it should be fine. :fl

What! This chick is awesome! Doing well, the chick has jumped out of it's little bowl

Attachments

• 20190216_103325.jpg
    20190216_103325.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom