1. Tabbstanley

Tabbstanley Hatching

Jun 11, 2019
    So I have a brown leghorn chicken she is about 4 months old and for the past two weeks her crop has expanded to about half her side. She is majorly too heavy and I have removed her from the other chicken and she's in her own own inside my house. I have tried to give her apple cider vinegar water and yogurt as the vet recommended. She also said that it could be a blockage but her crop has not gone down and she has thrown up food which is unusual and she can no longer move and she falls to the left and scoots herself to where she can get comfortable in her pen. She wants to snuggle and sleep all the time and she can barely keep her eyes open, she's not eating I dont know what to do I dont want her to starve to death. She is also half the size of the other two brown leghorns I have that were gotten at the same time...HELP!!!

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    It's possible she's got an impacted crop, from my notes that I've collected from other BYC Members ....

Coconut oil & massage, Ducolax (stool softener w/out stimulate...

Thank you @aart for this posted info ...
    A hard, lumpy crop, perhaps smelling like a stopped up garbage disposal, likely is an impacted crop. You would treat this condition with several doses of mineral oil, coconut oil or olive oil. You might need to add a stool softener. You might also need to treat a sour smelling impacted crop with an anti-yeast medicine after breaking up the impaction with oil and massage.
    If all attempts to treat a crop disorder fail, and the crop continues to be full and refuse to empty, and if it is overly large and hangs down low from the chest wall, you may have a pendulous crop that needs support in order to empty. This condition may be temporary if the hen is young, but permanent in older hens with poor muscle tone on their chest wall. A support device is helpful to keep the crop functioning.

3. Tabbstanley

Tabbstanley Hatching

Jun 11, 2019

Thank you so much for your help I will try this!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't remember writing that......link the post, please?

5. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :oops: Ooops, sorry @aart, it was @azygous ... I'm not very computer literate, don't know how to save those links. What I do is copy/paste :rolleyes:

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you right click on the post number, then click 'copy link address', you can then paste that ;)

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  7. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :bow @aart ... Thank you, now I need to try that ;) Wyorp Rock "taught" me how to tagging :hugs

EDITED: I tried it works, thank you so very much

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: