Help!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aurajean515, Jun 17, 2019.

1. aurajean515

aurajean515 Chirping

Oct 6, 2018
    I’ve posted a few times about some eggs hatching, one is a RIR x EE and he or she just hatched about 15 minutes ago. The problem is, her leg is completely upside down. I’ve never had a problem with my previous hatches until now so I’m not sure what to do, if there is anything I can do. I’ve heard of chicks with leg deformities that can be fixed early on, but how do you turn an entire leg?!
    Please help. I don’t want to lose this little one ):

2. LuckyMotherhen

LuckyMotherhen Chirping

Dec 13, 2018
    Can you send any pictures?

featheredplanets likes this.
  3. aurajean515

aurajean515 Chirping

Oct 6, 2018
    It’s pretty bad.

Attached Files:

4. littlepip

littlepip Songster

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    that's a really bad case of a leg deformity. I'm not sure is that can be fixed with splinting. I had a chick like this, who ended up passing. I'm so sorry. maybe if you are very dedicated, take the chick inside and help her eat and drink. if she can't stand, she won't be able to lift her head to drink. feed her and water her by hand, and mix in some electrolytes with the water. they'll make her stronger. are you ready to spend time caring for her?

5. littlepip

littlepip Songster

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    this will take a lot of commitment if it can't be fixed, but hopefully she can learn to move around with her one good leg.

6. aurajean515

aurajean515 Chirping

Oct 6, 2018
    ive already moved her indoors, i was able to almost fully correct her leg with tape, but I didn’t want to turn it too much incase it was too painful. She’s breathing heavily and not opening her eyes much, so I’m worried she won’t make it. But I will do what I can and hope for the best.
    Her hock is really swollen, I’d like to give her some baby aspirin. Anyone know how much to give a one day old chick?

7. littlepip

littlepip Songster

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    I domt know about the asprin, but have you been giving her water? Dip her beak in, and see if she drinks.

8. littlepip

littlepip Songster

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    heaving breathing can be due to pain. :( Praying she makes it!:fl

9. littlepip

littlepip Songster

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    @Eggcessive you've helped with a lot of dosage questions. can you give aspirin to a day old chick?

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your chick. Leg bone deformities are usually not treated successfully. Vitamins including riboflavin and other B’s can be helpful. I doubt that splinting would help this type of deformity. I would let her try to get around on her own, but make sure that she is getting enough to eat and drink. It will probably require a lot of you time caring for the chick, and many would cull the chick with this type of a deformity. https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers

Attached Files:

aurajean515 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: