Help??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Danny_tb, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Danny_tb

Danny_tb Chirping

Mar 25, 2019
    2450341C-6D0B-4AEF-BCD9-4B38A877903C.png Would this be okay to raise my baby quails?

mixedUPturk and EggWalrus like this.
  2. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Should be ok if high enough protein . Its chick starter. What is the protein level? Game birds need hi pro feed as chicks.

Danny_tb likes this.
  3. le_bwah

le_bwah Crowing

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    What % protein is it? If it's for chickens chicks, I'm betting it's too low for quail. That brand makes game bird/show bird feed in 26% protein—that would be a better fit.

mixedUPturk, Danny_tb and EggWalrus like this.
  4. le_bwah

le_bwah Crowing

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    That's what I fed my first hatch, anyway.

mixedUPturk, Danny_tb and EggWalrus like this.
  5. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    Protein levels aren't the only concern, either - so are the methionine and L-lysine levels, which are almost invariably higher in real gamebird/turkey/duck food.

If it's your only choice you can probably make it work, but you'll need to supplement with something like black oil sunflower seeds as soon as they can eat them.

mixedUPturk and Danny_tb like this.
  6. le_bwah

le_bwah Crowing

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    As far as I know, something higher in protein will be necessarily higher in amino acids. Protein is just an easier metric to judge a feed by.

7. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Do not feed that to quail. That's medicated.

8. Danny_tb

Danny_tb Chirping

Mar 25, 2019
    What’s a good feed?

mixedUPturk likes this.
  9. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    You'll be looking for a game bird starter. Failing to find that, you'd look for a game bird feed. Failing that, turkey starter. Failing that, turkey feed. Failing all of the above. Non-medicated chick starter, If you are forced to go this route, you MUST supplement the protein or your flock will suffer from malnutrition. I MUST go this route, and I supplement with finely ground dry cat food (30% protein), I mix it 50/50 (by weight, not volume) with the chick starter (percentage of protein fluctuates month by month from 18% to 21%, same store, same feed, different protein... go figure). I also 'treat' with hard boiled eggs that I mash for them, shell and all. I 'treat' with mashed tomato, minced iceberg lettuce (I know, I know, but that's what is available here), mashed papaya, mashed mango, mashed banana, finely ground split peas, finely ground white rice. I am careful to not feed over 10% of their overall diet in 'treats', and since they only get treats once a week or less, I don't think they're in danger of malnutrition. On the list of things I treat them with, the only 'junk' food listed is the lettuce, but they love it so... and it is mostly water.

10. Danny_tb

Danny_tb Chirping

Mar 25, 2019
    DD94BC8A-4A7E-4834-9441-CD7F8D69FC27.jpeg

mixedUPturk and le_bwah like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: