1. awizkey

awizkey Songster

Apr 22, 2017
    Northeastern Ohio
    I have 8 new pullets that are of egg laying age. I saw my rooster mount one yesterday and she squatted for him. For the last half hour, one of the newbies has been clucking non stop and seems restless. She stops for preening, drinking water, and eating/pecking ground. Is she trying to lay an egg or is there something seriously wrong with her? She went in the coop for a few, then to a hiding spot for a few, then back in the coop, back outside all while clucking. Doesn't sound like a happy cluck either. Never seen this behavior in the 4 years I have had chickens. She is a Sapphire olive egger.

2. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    She may be looking for another bird that didn't come with her from where ever she was. It will take some time for her to adjust and make new 'friends' in her new flock. She may be unsure where she wants to lay an egg, new place, everything is different. Change is stressful, and she may be having a particularly hard time with it.

CityslickerHomestead likes this.
  3. awizkey

awizkey Songster

Apr 22, 2017
    Northeastern Ohio
    She has been in there for a month and never did this. Almost sounds like distress cluck? It has been going on for like an hour now.

4. awizkey

awizkey Songster

Apr 22, 2017
    Northeastern Ohio
    They are also in a run.

5. awizkey

awizkey Songster

Apr 22, 2017
    Northeastern Ohio
    They are also in a run.

6. awizkey

awizkey Songster

Apr 22, 2017
    Northeastern Ohio
    Also, the pullet coop was in the run for 2 months before I integrated for the look but no touch.

7. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Maybe something scared her? I have some that will act like that if there is a predator that has been nearby. I have two roo's and yesterday my senior hen carried on for half an hour due to a strange dog that went through. You might try putting her in the nest box, see what happens. I have some boxes with privacy curtains, some birds settle down better with them. Other than that you can pick her up, give her a good going over to make sure there is nothing obviously wrong, no injuries. Her behavior doesn't really sound like egg binding. Has she laid yet? She may be getting close and just really hasn't figured it out yet. Sometimes mine are noisy and there really doesn't seem to be a reason. :confused:

8. awizkey

awizkey Songster

Apr 22, 2017
    Northeastern Ohio
    She has not laid yet. At first I thought she was overheated but it has cooled down quite a bit. I don't know lol. Just going to observe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: