Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dgross, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Dgross

Dgross In the Brooder

May 26, 2017
    I have a pekin she is about 3 maybe 4. She started having issues walking last summer. We tried some chick starter, niacin, brewers yeast. Nothing seems to help. She just continued to have issues walking. At first it was stiff leg. Then it was dead leg. Now its both legs drags them behind her using her wings to move her. We pick her up to put her in the pool. We put food and water right next to her. She just drags her legs. She doesnt go far from where we take her to. Her wings are getting beat up a bit. She eats, she drinks, swims. I'm at a loss as to what to do. She doesnt seem in pain really. I can't see any sores or anything that is out of the norm. I dont really know what to do. There are no vets here that will see her.
    If I put this in the wrong area. I looked everywhere and this was the only place that I could create oe type anything.

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
  3. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    When the experts get here, they are going to want to know 3 or 4 weeks, months, or years.

4. blackandtan

blackandtan Songster

Hmm a gradual decline would suggest something neurological to me which often can’t be resolved, but I’m no expert....
    Was she ever injured?

5. Dgross

Dgross In the Brooder

May 26, 2017
    No she was never injuried.
    3 to 4 years
    Posting to forum how? I count find a place that said post here or new post or anything.

6. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    I think posting here will be okay. I am surprised one of the experts has not replied. @Miss Lydia will be the first expert in the morning.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

So sorry to hear about your Pekin. They are one of the breeds that seem to get leg issues because of their size and growth rate. Is your Pekin over weight? I know this has been going on for quite a while but if me I'd go to TSC and in the cattle dept there is liquid B complex. She will need at least 1 ml morning and night put over something she really enjoys eating so she gets the full dose. Brewers yeast just doesn't cut it once they have the issues. And this maybe just a shot in the dark since its been going on for so long but def worth trying. The bottle will say injectable but just peel the foil and use a dropper to get out the 1ml. Also I'd start giving her calcium citrate. I buy in capsule and just open and put over the treat along with the b complex. Is she able to use her legs in water when you put her in the pool?

Wyorp Rock and WVduckchick like this.
  8. Dgross

Dgross In the Brooder

May 26, 2017
    She is not over weight and she uses her legs not at all anymore. Uses her wings and bill.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Can she use her legs in the water when floating?

10. Dgross

Dgross In the Brooder

May 26, 2017
    On good days yes. She will kind of move them forward and back. Not to often though.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: