Help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PoultryScienceAggie, Feb 19, 2009.

1. PoultryScienceAggie

PoultryScienceAggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    Well to make a long story short here goes: I am a senior at Texas A&M and majoring in Poultry Science. I have always loved birds and hatching them. I have hatched them in my apartment and brooded them (until they are ready) with no poblems ever. Well today, the maintance man had a call for another apartment and mistakenly went into mine. Well I have several birds brooding in there. So I took them out (in case he tells on me) to my land. We don't have electricity out there so I am stuck. I don't know how to keep them warm. Right now they are inside their brooders in a truck that is sitting out at the land. They should be fine for now. Is there anything that I can do to keep them warm for tonight? They are partially covered in feathers. Tomorrow, I will be taking them home to my parents house.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Just a thought. Go to a sporting goods store and buy a hand warmer or two, depending on how much heat you need. Should last the night if you get the right kind. Ask the clerk.

3. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    You should know better! Unless your truck has a 110 a/c outlet in its bed the way some Toyotas do, you are going to have to get them somewhere warm ASAP. You didnʻt say how far along they were, but unless they are almost ready to join the flock, they still need heat NOW.

4. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Quote:Hand warmers work off of cigarette lighter fuel which is a kerosene mix. The fumes (even unlit) will kill the chicks in an enclosed space.

5. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Quote:Hand warmers work off of cigarette lighter fuel which is a kerosene mix. The fumes (even unlit) will kill the chicks in an enclosed space.

I am sure they were talking about the "bag" kind of disposable warmers - no fumes no flame, just mash the bag and it mixes two chemicals that get warm.

6. PoultryScienceAggie

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    I have thought about the hand warmers. I am going to go and get some tonight. I think I might just bring them back here tonight and take them back out to the ranch tomorrow morning. It is in the mid 70's right now so they are doing fine right now.

7. PoultryScienceAggie

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    BirdsofP. - they are inside the truck right now. They are doing fine. I am just worried about tonight.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Why not just keep them in your apartment until tomorrow. If the landlord says something you can tell him they will be gone tomorrow. i wouldn't risk their life because "maybe" the manager may find out and say something.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good luck PoultryScienceAggie with whatever you decide. Please let us know how you make out. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. PoultryScienceAggie

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    I am just going to bring them home for tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by