HELP !!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kidd42, Mar 3, 2009.

1. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    I think I am losing a new born chick. They are 4 days old hatched late Friday night. Arrived from McMurrey hatchery Sunday morning. Everyone had seem to be doing good until this afternoon when I got home from work.One of the babies is just laying near the heat lamp breathing very heavy, almost looks like she is gasping. I hold her and have been dipping her beak in water. When I put her back down she sort of stumbles back by the heat lamp and then flops down. The other chicks will walk on her and she doesn't move much. Is there anything I can do, or am I losing her?
    We are newbies at this. Please help with any kind of suggestion's.

Thank You,

Kevin

2. TexHen

TexHen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Alvord Tx
    I am new to this, but it doesn't sound good. Sorry:(

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    has she got pastatee butt?

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Maybe you should post this under "emergencies" The only thing I could tell you is to seperate her from the other ones and keep her warm. I'm sure someone will come on here and help. But I would put it under Emergencies.

5. kidd42

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    I had to put her down.[​IMG] She was getting weaker and couldn't right herself when she flopped onto her back. William 9792; yes she had the pastee butt. I had tried to clean it when I got home with warm water, and even put mineral oil on it to soften it. Right before I dispatched her she had a very runny poo. It was my first put down, it was very hard to do.
    Thanks everyone. Hopefully I did her right.

6. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    So Sorry not your fault pasty butt happens fast. I'm a pasty butt freak for the first few weeks the chicks under go alot of stress from being shipped and it can happen at anytime A lesson and a reminder to me my chicks will be shipped soon.

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm sorry you needed to do that. I know it's hard but you did the right thing. She's no longer hurting. [​IMG] Hope your day gets better.

8. kidd42

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Thanks everyone. Feeling better this morning about it. I know I did the right thing. It was hard to watch her suffer. Now I gotta go check some little butt's.

9. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    sorry about your loss. I've had to put down 2 chicks and it isn't fun but sometimes it's the thing to do. Keep your chin up and hopefully the others will do well. Good Luck

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You did the right thing [​IMG] This sort of thing is a necessary evil that we all have to face once in a while if we are going to keep chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by