Help!

Auroraj

Hatching
Jul 1, 2021
I recently started raising these baby chicks, the mother left them and will not come back. This baby chick has a growing lump on the beak and eye. Any idea how to treat this without seeing a vet?

Attachments

• CDB715EA-DB0F-47B2-AB90-79FFE53C2CED.jpeg
    CDB715EA-DB0F-47B2-AB90-79FFE53C2CED.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 3CEDD3EB-A1D3-47AB-AC04-C5971FA6D548.jpeg
    3CEDD3EB-A1D3-47AB-AC04-C5971FA6D548.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 7
Wound Kote or Blue Kote. Spray some on a q-tip and swab the area around the eye and beak after you've cleaned it. Continue to pump electrolytes. I prefer Hydro Hen.
I'd keep him in a sick pen away from the others until he's had a chance to heal up a bit.

It looks like possible fowl pox, a virus carried by mosquitoes. It can last around a month, but in chicks, it can be more serious. They can have large swollen scabs around eyes that may block vision, making it hard to see food and water. Also, they can have them around the nostrils affecting breathing. Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel can be used around and in eyes. Betadine can be painted on scabs away from eyes to help dry them up. Make sure they are eating and drinking well.

It looks like possible fowl pox, a virus carried by mosquitoes. It can last around a month, but in chicks, it can be more serious. They can have large swollen scabs around eyes that may block vision, making it hard to see food and water. Also, they can have them around the nostrils affecting breathing. Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel can be used around and in eyes. Betadine can be painted on scabs away from eyes to help dry them up. Make sure they are eating and drinking well.
Thank you so much for your help. They are actually indoors and haven't even stepped foot outside. Is there anything other than mosquitos that can cause this? Asking just in case I need to change something in their routine/lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom