Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MissD, May 4, 2009.

1. MissD

MissD Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Last Thursday my class and I put 24 Pekin duck eggs in the incubator. I have an automatic egg turner, the temperature and humidity has been triple checked every day and I cannot tell if they are fertile or not. I have done this before but with different kinds of ducks. We are on Day 5 and I feel like I should be seeing clear veins and I do not. How is it that all of them are not fertile? Am I checking too soon?? Thanks!

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I wouldn`t give up on them just yet. Where did you get the eggs? Were they purchased as hatching eggs? Did they come in the mail? Even with mailed eggs you should get some that develop.

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Five days is a bit early to be checking. Sounds like you have done everything right so far, just give them a few more days. Candle them in a dark place, with a flashlight. Cut a small hole in the cardboard, and shine the light up through it. Then place the eggs one at a time on top of the hole. The veins will show up very well then. Good luck!

4. MissD

MissD Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Yes I ordered them as hatching eggs. I am hoping that I am just being paranoid but I thought I remember seeing veins by now the last time I hatched eggs. I am just worried for my students who are young and very excited! Thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by