help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cposz, May 15, 2009.

1. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Our 2 buff orpington girls are now about 4 weeks old and they have grown out of their cardboard and duct tape brooder (Casa del Corrugata). How did that happen so fast??
    I need a quick fix - and most of the brooders I saw here are for the tinies. Any ideas for a quick-to-assemble large brooder for them - the duct tape isn't holding up well, either.

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Maybe a rubbermaid container, a big one would last quite a while and you could use it for something else later on. I used a borrowed metal horse watering trough, it was 3' x 5' and worked wonderfully. I also know of someone who got a refridgerator box from an appliance store for free...good luck to you and your new chicks!

3. leearealake

leearealake Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    i once hod to cut and tape 4 boxes together cause at the time that was all i had:confused:

4. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    A refrigerator box - What a great idea!! It would be just about perfect! Or maybe a furniture box ...
    Thanks, Jen

5. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    How about a fridge or stove box? Do you have a store locally that sells appliances? You could check with them. If they don't have one laying around, perhaps they could direct you to someone who just bought one. Also, if you have a local freecycle group you could put out a call for a really big box. Better get your coop ready! Good luck!

6. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Their present quarters are pieced-together boxes with duct tape, but it's not holding up all that well (tape is starting to give way for some reason...). I have plenty of cardboard around here and maybe can try that again if I can't get a hold of a big appliance or furniture box.

I'm thinking we only have 3-4 weeks left in the brooder, so it doesn't have to stand the test of much time.

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Check with your local businesses, manufacturing plants get BIG boxes that are very heavy duty. They would be GLAD to let them go to someone that can use them!

8. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    2nd hand play pen is working for us.

9. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    get a rubbermaid tub, and if it isn't tall enough, get creative and duct tape cardboard onto the sides and make it taller!

10. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    We've located a recliner box and will go to pick it up shortly. Thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by