Help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochinbantam-lover, May 18, 2009.

1. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    One of my babies, her eyes are pasted shut. What can I do and why are they liike that??
    Please help!!

2. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Have you tried a warm wet washcloth?

3. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Will go and do that now! Thanks! Do you know what caused that?

4. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That seemed to help! [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She could have gotten an injury or irritation from another chick, or be reacting to the dust in the brooder, or something similar. Hopefully nothing serious.

If she continues to have a problem, you could try a little antibiotic ophthalmic ointment. If you don't have any, you should be able to get it at the feed store. Might not need this, though.

6. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    An old school organic chicken farmer here locally swears by comfrey plant (fresh used like aloe or as a comfrey salve) I had this happen to one of my porcelain d'uccle chicks last week, warm compress (warm wet washcloth) and a little comfrey fixed her up quick!

7. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thankyou very much!

8. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thanks so much! I don't have any of those plants, [​IMG] I'm keeping a close eye on her.

9. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    About the warm moist wash cloth. Do you just put the whole thing on top of the chick or what? Hey Cochy GUESS WHAT??? I just ordered my first order of the year and its also my first from Ideal as well...! hey where do you get your chicks and have you gotten any frizzles lately? [​IMG]

10. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Hey,
    I cut a wash cloth in four pieces, then I just soak a small part and squeezed a little warm water on her eye, then just dabbed it. Seemed to help I'm going to watch her carefully. I think I have some little pasty butts I have to take care of too! Why do they get that!!!! [​IMG]

I got my chicks from Murray McMurray! Yes I got Frizzles, [​IMG] some white, red and black!! When are your chicks coming?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by