HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Saltiena, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    i need ur advise, i went to the store today to get bedding, but all they had was a pine/cedar blend can i use cedar or will the chickies get sick, i only have a little while plz help, i used to keep hamsters and the first cupple ones we had we used cedar and the got respitory infections and died, the same with my rats (*yes i do have pet rats*) i dont want the chicks to die plz tell me if cedar is Okay [​IMG]

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    From what I've read, it kinda depends. First, how much cedar is mixed in with the pine shavings? Alot or just a little for fragrance? If mostly or a lot of cedar I'd say no. Second, the coop you're putting it in. Is it air tight? Is is still very cold where you are so you keep the coop shut up all the time or, like here, is it warm and you leave the windows open? Third, the age of your birds. Little chicks? Nope, they're too sensitive. Older chicks? Maybe if the coop is airy. Adults? Probably if they are outside a lot and there is only a little cedar and mostly pine. I hope this helps.....

3. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    Thank you so much it helped alot i decided to just stay away from cedar alttogether [​IMG] even though my coop is pretty well ventalated thanks again for your help...byc rocks!!

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    In my opinion you made a good choice! I hope you can get some plain pine soon.

5. cookie_chick

cookie_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Australia
    Will Just plain Shredded paper work?

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes shredded paper will work.itll absord the wet and dampness .an disentagrate.

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

paper towels work as well...if they are small peeps in a box?

8. cookie_chick

cookie_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Australia
    ok thats good im using shredded paper and paper towel
    but my chicken ripped he paper towel up
    did i do something wrong?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by