help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redchick, Sep 7, 2009.

1. redchick

redchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    i got baby chicks in april 20 or so i have no eggs yet i have 4 hens and 3 roosters can u help

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Hens lay at different times. I got day old chicks at EAster (April 15th) and I Just started getting eggs last week... from a few of my hens, not all of them. It'll come.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That would make them about 19 weeks old. Most of mine didn't start laying until 20-22 weeks. Give the girls a few more weeks. As for the boys, I wouldn't expect any eggs from them. [​IMG]

4. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:i knew someone that had the same thing ... she just so happened to not want the roosters ... so i took them (yummy) ... a few days later they started laying

i'm not suggested that you butcher your roosters (yummy) .... but maybe you can make them disappear for a day or 2 ... out of sight out of mind

5. redchick

Sep 7, 2009
    i have been thinking off them gone:lol:

6. lindym

lindym Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Olalla, WA
    Quote:Sounds like my little flock [​IMG]. A few soft eggs, a few hard eggs . . . The roos, except for one, will be off to freezer camp next weekend.

Linda

7. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Hi I also got mine April 20th. I just got my first egg 3 days ago and then 1 yesterday and 2 today [​IMG] Anytime.....................Now Oh what kind a chickens do you have?

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Still a little young yet for laying, depending on the breed.
    You also have way too many roosters for the number of hens. Matter of fact, if I only had four hens I doubt I'd even have a rooster.
    The roos will start fighting over the hens and overmating the hens. Overmated hens are stressed out hens and stressed out hens don't lay well.

9. redchick

Sep 7, 2009
    i have r reds
    Quote:

10. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    by the way, redchick, welcome to BYC from southeast Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by