Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vkp23, Nov 25, 2009.

1. vkp23

vkp23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I have two eggs trying to hath and one has gotten some of the shell piped but the membrane is intact. ?????? My humidity is at 80%, and the membrane is WHITE WHITE WHITE. What should I do. Wait it out? Help?? Or wait and help later and if so when??? He piped at 3 this afternoon.

2. get a hole in the membrane immediately. Use an object you are comfortable with and get a hole in the membrane so the peep can breath. They only have about 6 hours after they break into the air sac and pip.

You should be able to see the beak. You may have a weak chick or the membrane may be dehydrating.

Take the egg into your hands and carefully perform this task. Put the egg back into the incubator and wait.

Do not worry about the humidity at this point, if you do nothing the chick will die.

3. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    are you sure it is the membrane that the chick is in? the reason I ask is because I have had this same thing happen and it wasn't the actual membrane that the chick was in but the "skin" of the egg. I don't know what it is called but anyway the chick had tapped the shell enough to get litle pieces of it to fall away and only the (very white) leathery skin was still intact. it had pierced its membrane just not that skin. when i peeled that skin back enough to see the chick i could see the clear veiny membrane still around him. it scared the heck out of me too because i knew my humidity had stayed high enough that it should not have dried out. anyway i wish you the best of luck with your baby, I am sure he will be fine once you open a hole for him to breathe and he can hatch out the rest of the way on his own.

4. vkp23

vkp23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Yeah he actually hatched at 4 this am!

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The white lining you see behind the shell is the shell "skin"... is there a name for it?

Mine did that too, they pipped yesterday.. seemed like they were taking a long time... so I chipped the pip pieces, noticed no hole in the white stuff, so I broke a teeny hole in it, then left them alone. This morning I had some almost-dry chickies. Just one seemed to have issues, yolk wasn't 100% in, looks like he has an "outie" is all.

6. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    yay!!! for your new baby! congrats!!

7. SOOOOO very glad you got your hatch !!!

Oh, believe me I was prepared to put you through the entire "helping hand" thing. Some times you have to help a weak

chick out .

8. 4CrazyGirlz

4CrazyGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    North East Texas
    Quote:First let me say that I am VERY new to this. I just began my first hatch a couple of days ago. That being said, we are hatching eggs because I home school my younger 2 girls. We have had 6 chapters of studying birds. The last chapter was on mating, hatching, and the egg. When studing the egg we learned that their is an inner and outer membrane. That is all they call them. With all the techinical terms related to the egg....albumen, chalazae, germinal disk, air cell etc. they list those two membranes as the inner shell membrane and the outer shell membrane. Sorry that is probably not the explanation you were looking....but that is all I have! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by