1. jessiegirl

jessiegirl New Egg

Dec 9, 2009
    Hi,
    I was wondering if you could help me out. We have two goats and a nice insulated house for them and I was wondering if chickens would share a home with goats. Do you have to keep them inside all winter or can they come and go like the goats do? We live in Alaska and it is quite cold most of the time. I would love to start keeping chickens as well so any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jessica

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] Jessiegirl! [​IMG]
    I have never had goats so I don't know if it's ok to put chickens with them. I live in Michigan and it is snowing right now. I usually let my chickens out every day but since it has started snowing they don't want to go out.
    Maybe someone will be of more help than I am.

3. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Chicken food is toxic to goats and can cause bloat... it's a whole pile of hassle trying to stop the goats getting into the chicken feed.... been there, tried it, failed, built another pen for the chickens!

But [​IMG]

4. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    [​IMG]

5. jessiegirl

jessiegirl New Egg

Dec 9, 2009
    Thanks all! I really appreciate it.[​IMG]

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Welcome to the coop Jessie. We have a couple of folks here from Alaska that could give you pointers on keeping chickens. (not me tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dang cold)

7. hollyandty

hollyandty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    North Pole, Alaska
    Jessiegirl,
    Glad you found the forum. I didn't know about the feed being toxic. Thanks for asking that question. I would be glad to help you get a coop started and I will be hatching lots of eggs very soon. Let me know.
    Holly

8. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    My chicken coop is not accessible to my goats, But when the chickens are let out to free-range they get along with the goats in the open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by