Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Foleys, May 12, 2010.

1. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Thease chickens showed up pecking at our door literally. They never left so we are now keeping them. We have built a coop and went and bought all the things for a chicken. Including a full grown (I think) rooster. But we do not know what breed they are or how many boys and girls there are or how old. Can someone help?
    There are pictures on my page. I dont know how to get them on here...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. ParadisePoultry

ParadisePoultry Hey, I'm WALKIN' here !

Oct 19, 2009
    Paradise (Braham), Mn
    Look like RIR's to me. And looks like one of them is a Roo.

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    They look a lot like my red sex links did when they were younger. Can you get some pictures of each of them close up? There's one that's looking rooish.

4. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Quote:I am sorry I dont know what a rir is and might you guess on how old?

5. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Quote:Give me a second ill try.... They run away from me alot

6. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    The white roo is beautiful! The other slook like about 10-12 week old RIR! The two in the center pic look like roo's too!

Congrats!!!

Good Luck and God Bless!

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh My Heavens!!! Lucky lucky you -- that roo is gorgeous!!! And I can hear the conversation going on between them as they contemplated knocking on your door. "It's a nice house, they're nice people... knock, g'head knock." "No, we shouldn't intrude... should we." Lucky for them they found you.

And [​IMG] Glad you're here -- there site is essential for all things chicken.

Jenny

8. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Quote:I am sorry I dont know what a rir is and might you guess on how old?

RIR = Rhode Island Red. Great layers.

I don't have any of those breeds, so I'm not much help, but they do look like one of the good layer breeds (RIR, RSL (red sex-link), production red, etc). And the roo is very pretty!

9. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I think two of your reds might be roosters. [​IMG] The easiest way to show you the difference we're looking at is for you to look at the pictures you took - first row, very last picture. See how the one on the right has a much bigger comb and wattles and the wattles are redder? Those are rooster characteristics. As they get older their feathers (how the feathers lay and tails stand up) will show a more pronounced difference, too. I'm not sure what, exactly, they are, though - RIR, RSL, etc.... And, it's all sort of depending on how old they are, which, of course, you can't know. If the comb is really big and red and they are only 8-9 weeks, pretty strong indicator. If they are 15-16 weeks, though, then it's more expected. That's probably not much help. Sorry.

I'm not really good at guessing ages, but I'd say you're probably 10-12 weeks or so, roughly half way to egg laying, like someone else said. I have red sex links and they are great egg layers, even in winter and I know RIR are supposed to be really good, too. So I think you've got some nice chickens there. Glad they decided to adopt you! [​IMG]

10. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    If they are red sex-links they are all pullets, rooster would be a different color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by