1. r_gshellhammer

r_gshellhammer New Egg

May 4, 2010
    I just went out to my coop and found one of my 6 week old birds laying very listles and not moving...when you touch him he chirps and wiggles but doesnt get up...not sure what is going on...cant see any sign of damage to the bird and the other 12 are doing just fine. We believe it to be a cockerel. He was just fine last night when I was out there. Any suggestions or causes. Thank you so much for any help.

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Hard to say without more info--a picture may help too.

More info that may help:

What are you feeding?
    Any foods they are getting that are new to them?
    Do they have grit?
    Is his crop full or empty?
    What is the temperature in your coop?
    Any adults with them?
    Do you have another roo?
    Is there a way he could've fallen and injure himself?
    Are your chicks vaccinated for Mareks disease?
    Will he eat or drink if you bring it close to him?
    Can he move his wings?

Anything else you can add may help to figure out what to do.
    Hope he gets better [​IMG]

3. r_gshellhammer

r_gshellhammer New Egg

May 4, 2010
    crop most likely full
    roosters 8 to 9 week old flock no adults in with them a couple rooster in there feed poultry feeed 18 % protien the temp today is about 80 nothing new to the group he does move his wings if u touch or move him and will drink if u put it right up to him and as far as other roosters thered is only one bigger than him in the group

4. r_gshellhammer

r_gshellhammer New Egg

May 4, 2010
    can chickens nock themselfs silly literally the other day this 9 week old rooster was jumping after insects and hit the underside of the coop roof

5. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Certainly a good bump on his noggin could've caused serious damage. Any swelling noted (head, eyes, legs or neck)? Was he vaccinated for Marek's disease? Mareks can make them paralyzed--usually a leg first. It is also contagious but not all birds will have symptoms.

I am not an expert and cannot be sure what is going on but injury may be the cause. Separating him from the flock (if he can see them that's great but not urgent at this point) and giving him fluids, nutrients and warmth (not too hot of course) may help him heal if he is able to do so. You might add a multivitamin (without iron) and even some electrolytes to his water and let him drink frequently as shock or dehydration will kill quicker than starvation. Most feed stores carry the vitamin electrolyte powder. Try some scrambled or hard cooked eggs to him get stronger too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by