Help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Krikkit, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Okay, so I found this quail trying to drink out of the swimming pool.. I've taken care of baby birds before, but I have come to realize that quails get needy and lonely.. and I can't figure out what to do for it. It's already imprinting on me, and will cry nonstop until I hold it. I don't know how to get another one, and I worry that it will be depressed. My last day of school is tomorrow, so I will have plenty of time to spend with it, but I can't be there every waking moment.

The good thing is it sleeps. Alone. Haha. So I don't hear it crying all night, and if I cover my side of its cage so it can't see me, it stops crying as well.

Also, right now I have him in an aquarium. I know the internet advises boxes, but the cage I have has a heating pad on the bottom that he likes to lay on, and I don't need to run any light besides opening the blinds to let in the sunlight. But, I don't know what to do for the future when it gets too large for the cage??

Also, it pecks at the ground where I've put crushed up variants of food and insect diet, but it never seems to actually.. get any..? Are the bites just too small for me to see or is it not eating?

I named him Cody, but I have no idea if he's a boy or a girl so if there's any way to tell that by this age please do let me know.

Any kind of advice is great. [​IMG] Thanks!

2. FowlFriend

FowlFriend Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    Do you have any photos? I've read that some with a lone bird put a small stuffed bird in the cage with them. Maybe that would help?

3. Krikkit

Jun 1, 2010
    img/smilies/smile.png" alt="smile" />">http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww330/Tictac2349/Babybird007.jpg
    http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww330/Tictac2349/Babybird017.jpg

[​IMG]
    These are the best ones I have. He's about a big as a 50 cent piece haha. <3 The cutest thing ever, only comparable to kittens in my book.

Do you really think a stuffed bird will work? ^^; I don't know a lot about bird mental health, but I have a sun conure and he doesn't even fall for mirrors haha. He's giving Cody a look of contempt as we speak.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    1st Thing You Need To Do Is Call Your Game Warden And Get Permission To Raise It! It Appears To Be A Gambel Quail Baby, Possibly A Valley, Either Or Are Wild Birds And Most States Have Laws Against Taking Birds From The Wild.... So Call Your Local Game Warden And Explain The Predicament And They Can Give You Permission To Raise It. Otherwise If Caught The Fines And Penalties Can Be Quite Hefty (no Matter Your Age)

5. Krikkit

Jun 1, 2010
    Okay thanks. ^^; Anything else?

6. bmycah

bmycah Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    Corum
    Since you only have the one i would post on craigs list for someone that raises them to help you out by either taking it or helping you find a couple friends for it

7. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Yeah it looks like a gambel chick. where are you lacated?

8. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Poor lil guy, Im sorry but we all pretty much know it will be dead by morning . . .

It needs heat(90 at least), food, and water.
    They are very scared of you, so spending time staring at it will only stress it out and speed up my first comment.

You really should have just taken it out of the pool and put it back on the ground.
    If you see its family out there tomoro, and it is still alive, put it back.

9. Krikkit

Jun 1, 2010
    It's been the better part of a week and it's fine. I DID research on it, so everyone can drop the assumption is that I can't, at least, keep it alive. I can, I am only concerned for the actual mental health of it, not the physical. It is fine, and it has tons of energy and when I take it in the yard it runs around and follows me. And it has steady heat all day long, and I have the cage set up so that one side of it is super warm, the middle is lukewarm, and the other side with the water is cooler. And obviously I knew it needed food and water, and have a blend of suggested food all around the cage... It isn't scared at all of me by now, it actually freaks out when I'm NOT near it, not when I am. And I have looked for the family multiple times and have not managed to find it. And putting it by the pool will result in it jumping in and drowning or being eaten by the bajillion stray cats that live here. I would rather it be scared and ALIVE than come to the pool to swim and find it floating in the filter.

I live in Nevada. I've tried different agencies for local wildlife but they either don't accept wild birds or are no longer open at all. It's become really frustrating, and I have a couple more numbers to try tomorrow. And craigs list was actually our next bet if none of the places I have numbers for work out, and we are keeping our eyes open for anyone that might be helpful even as we continue looking for helpful agencies that might take him.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Game Wardens Office--- Fish And Wildlife Commission Is Always Open---- They May Dose But Never Close [​IMG] These Are The Folks You Must Get In Touch With. Otherwise You May Be Commiting A Felony And The Results Arent Pretty.

As Far As Food Any Good Quality Gamebird Starter Should Do It Well [​IMG] Check Your Local Feed Store, They May Sell It By The Pound Or In Smaller 5 Pound Bags.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by