Help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ncgnance, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I need advice-bad!!! I have an egg on day 22 that pipped about 36 hours ago. It pipped on the small end of the eggshell. There is a small opening in the membrane, so it is getting air. I still hear peeping, so I know the chick is ok, or was when I left for work this morning. My question is (deep breath) if there is no progress made when I get home this afternoon, should I start helping?? I've done it before, in fact, I've "delivered" 2 chicks, so I know how. Do you think it's too soon to help??

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never helped or had to help chicks out..Do you have other chicks in the bator that are pipping or your hatch has already started?...Sometimes you can ruin hatches by opening the bator to help that lone chick if there are others that have pipped....

It's your call when you get home if you feel the need to help......fingers crossed for you....

3. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Thanks Tuffoldhen. There's one other egg and it hasn't started hatching yet. I'm just hoping that something is happening when I get home. I just can't let one die without trying.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If the membrane is to thick or to dry for the peep to escape, you can take an eye dropper and some water and moisten the inside where the pip is starting. This will help the peep escape.

bigzio

5. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I'm so sad, and mad at myself. My chick died in the shell without any more progress. What causes them to pip the wrong end of the egg???? The chick was dead when I got home. I went ahead and opened the egg, perfect chick, little barred rock. I should have gone ahead and opened it this morning when I got up. I have one egg left, and no movement and this is day 22.
    The good news is, I got my order from Welp Hatchery. All alive and well and very lively. I got: 10 brs, 5 rirs, 5 red sex links, 2 silver laced cochins, 2 partridge cochins, and one partridge male. Welp didn't have black or blue cochins, which I ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE. The sickness continues....

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Honestly there are a 100 things that could have been wrong with the chick...I have never had one to pip the wrong end.....I'm sorry it didn't make it til you got home to help.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by