1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    My girls arrived today (4 3mos old RIR). I got them from a local rancher who brought them to me. He doesn't use antibiotics, hormones, or steroids on his chickens. One has some feathers missing towards the tail, but he said that was normal for them to look a little ratty.

He brought them in boxes (2 in each) and I opened the boxes and put them in the coop and left them alone. The poop in the box looked normal (or at least what I think is normal). However, when I was watching one come out, it pooped and it reddish/orange. Didn't look right. So I watched it more and it "peed" 10 minutes later and there was a little red in that too. It was mucus-like. It didn't look like dark red blood or anything, but it doesn't look right.

I called the guy and left a message, but haven't heard back yet. Should I be concerned?

Two are still in the open box and the other two are standing on top of the box. [​IMG] They hopped right up. They don't seem listless or anything. They were in the boxes for almost 2 hrs (he lives an hour away and did some deliveries first).

Is it normal for them to poop odd colors when they are stressed? Do I just keep an eye on it?

Thanks.

Bree

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Could well just be 'caecal poo' sloppy various-coloured stuff that the chickens do one in every 8 to 10 poos.

if they seem well and the stuff they are pooing isn't blood, don't worry.

sandie

3. trishamonks

trishamonks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    HI I know on this forum somewhere there is a page dedicated to poop and whats normal and whats not i cant give any advice but ill look and see if i can find it if i do i link it to ya

4. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Oh, I just found a link to "normal" and abnormal poop. It looks closest to the intestine dropping one. It's definitely not red like the blood one. It's much closer to orange. Okay, I'll still like some reassurance, but I feel a little better now.

Bree

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I have this page bookmarked. It's amazing that this stuff is considered normal poop! Does it look anything like it these photos?

Chicken Poop

ETA: You beat me to it!

Don't forget: what goes in must come out. If they've eaten any berries or the like, their poop will reflect it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  6. trishamonks

trishamonks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
  7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    That poop page is the best reassurance ever. The first time mine chicks had a cecal poop I totally thought there was something wrong. There is such a wide range of normal. Good luck with your birds. [​IMG]

8. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
  9. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Here is a pic...I think I figured out how to post pics now. [​IMG] This was after I scooped it out on a stick and plopped it on the edge of a box. It's all spread out, but it all came up on the stick at once and wasn't really wet.

[​IMG]

Sorry the quality isn't great. I'm thinking it's not blood. It's like an reddish/orange mucus stuck to shavings.

Bree

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  10. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    I checked all the poops this morning and there was only one or two that had any other coloring to them. Plus I think one was from yesterday because it was on top of the box and I saw the one do that on the box so it's probably the same spot. I couldn't see if the other poops looked normal because they were stuck to shavings, but I didn't see any obvious red. Everyone is bright eyed and bushy-tailed, and eating and drinking.

Seem like all is well?

Bree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by