Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MSBG, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MSBG

MSBG Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    I have a problem and need HELP!

I have RIR's, 8 hens and 2 roos. One hen went broodie and I got 4 babies (2 hens and 2 roos). During the process I built a screened in enclosure within the hen house to protect the hatch from the others. I was afraid tha the roos would kill the babies. So...when the babies were about two months old the mama and babies got out of the enclosure and were romping around in the hen house while the others were out in the lot. After this I thought I was in the clear and would let them out for a couple of hours each day, but would keep a check on them. Then the third day I went back after about an hour to find one of my baby roos in the lot and they had picked his brains out (I freaked to say the least).

Now they are about 4 months old. I have been letting the mama out to mingle with the others but there is one hen who attacks her all the time (she does manage to take care of herself to a point), so I'm afraid to let the babies out for fear they will be attacked by the flock. I have built an enclosure within the chicken lot to house the babies and mama but with winter coming they can't stay in the outside enclosure night and day.

So, that's my story, can anyone offer any solution? I don't know what to do. Will I have to give up my babies?

I would appreciate your assistance, I am in case you couldn't tell, a fairly new chicken mom. My flock is less than two years old right now, so this is all pretty new to me.
    Just a general idea of my flocks upbringing, I have handles them since they were little to get them use to me but I have one mean roo that will attack if your back is turned, the other roo will help to protect me from the bad guy...:) I am also able to 'herd' them back into the lot if I can't wait for them to go back into the lot on their own. They get many treats, I cook for them O: and they are spoiled. Yes, I love my chickens, is that wrong?

thank you so much for reading my story and helping out a fellow chicken mom. ♥

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. MSBG

MSBG Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    Thank you very much for the very helpful information!
    I hope I can make it all work. I know I will add a few more gray hairs to my head in the process but, oh well, it is what it is. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by