Help!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Nov 16, 2010.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I just got back from the silkie pen, and there was a dark animal, not a cat or a dog. It had HUGE tracks, but it was just a little bigger than a cat!! It dug a hole UNDER our shed!!
    WHAT IS IT?
    HOW CAN I PROTECT THE BIRDS?

Thanks!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Pics of the tracks would help to identify. Badger maybe?? Bobcat? Don't think bobcats would burrow though, so seeing as how you live in Wisconsin, I would guess badger. Try to get some pics.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    When you said huge tracks and larger than a cat, the first thing I thought of was bobcat, too. We have those here and if it was just out on the property, that could be it. They wouldn't want to burrow in your yard, though.

When it comes to digging under sheds, our worst problem is some huge old ground hog/woodchuck. They can get surprisingly large. They are very dark colored, too. Sometimes they rear up. They can move very fast. Although they're herbivores and eat plants, their digging is an issue and can cause structural problems. Other predators using their tunnels as an entry point into a chicken run might be a concern, depending on the location and your set-up. They are very common and they just love to dig their homes at the base of buildings.

If you can't post a picture of the print, try looking at some of the web sites that have pictures of predator prints. Maybe make a sketch of the print, if you can't take a picture and measure the size. You could also do a Google search on woodchucks.

You might also be able to watch that area and get a better look at it the next time. Some might say a scope would give you a better view. [​IMG] For woodchucks, dog and cat poo or urine down the hole can make them decide to move to a more pleasant location. [​IMG] They're a little more challenging to trap in a live trap than some other animals, but I've heard fresh broccoli in a live trap works the best.

Good luck identifying your varmint!

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    It is all black. We think it is a Black Fox!!! [​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Wow. A black fox. They are pretty rare, aren't they? I'd love to see one.

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Yeah...

7. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I will get some pics tomorrow.

8. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I thought fox have small feet?

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

10. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Fisher cat? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by