Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lcw1995, Dec 13, 2010.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    i have a broody hen that hatched out 9 chicks last night.
    theres still 1 egg left and its got a chick in it... its just got a very little pip.
    still peeping but the hen has alot of chicks and she keeps pushing the egg out from under her!!! what can i do!
    i dont have an incubator.... a heat lamp.. or heating pad..
    i dont want this chick to die.
    i keep putting the egg back under her but she and her chicks keeps pushing it out from under her!
    its 16* outside!
    I NEED HELP!

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    O- WOW! I don't know what to say but I am sending you tons of good vibes for this chick. [​IMG]

Congrats on the other chicks.

3. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hey, I just had a thought.....do you have a small box and a higher wattage light bulb that could be set up as sort of a brooder? I unplugged the 'bators once and didn't think that there was any live chicks in there still and about 1/2 hr later, I was walking by it and heard "peep, peep" I took the baby out and let it finish hatching in the brooder with the other chicks under the heat of the heat lamp, but seperated it from the chicks so they couldn't peck at it. Chick was fine and is now almost 2 years old. Might be worth a shot.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Do you have a regular lamp that you can rig up? Take the shade off, tie it to something so it can hang. How about a hot water bottle, have one? I'm just brainstorming here!!!

5. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
  6. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Congratulations!!!!!! I am so glad it all worked out, but I think this is a pretty good excuse to get a 'bator to have on hand. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    yea. thts what im gonna get for christmas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by