1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quailkid, Mar 19, 2011.

1. quailkid

quailkid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Leavenworth Kansas
    I have a pair of Rouen Ducks..She layes every other day or so..but none of my eggs have been fertilized! He is over a year old I just dont know what to do about it!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Rouens can have issues due to their size. It is easier for them to mate in water than on land. Do you have a large pond for them that they can both get into together??

3. quailkid

Mar 19, 2011
    Leavenworth Kansas
    I have a large stock tank they both get in..I have never actually never seen them do anything..and their both a year old this month.

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

how do u know they are NOT fertilized ??

5. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    I also have 2 rouens, they mate all the time...On land..but Im curious how do you know theyre not fertilized?

6. quailkid

Mar 19, 2011
    Leavenworth Kansas
    I candle all my eggs..

7. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    So have you tried incubating all her eggs or just the first ones?

8. quailkid

Mar 19, 2011
    Leavenworth Kansas
    I havent tryed incubating any of them. I have just been candleing them and can see that they arnt fertial. So we have been eatting them..haha

9. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I thought you had to open them up and see if there is a bullseye to see if they are fertilized. Then when they are in the incubator you have to wait about seven days and if you see some veins then you know they are fertilized. You would probably have to open a few up and when you see they are being fertilized then the next eggs you start saving to incubate.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  10. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    you might try and put a few eggs in the incubator and give 'em a few days to see if they start to develop, then you can always throw them out or put more in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by