Help??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jencleg, May 9, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    We are picking up some baby chicks this evening (much sooner that expected) and I need to know the essentials! We have a box, a lamp, shavings, and will get some food? Chick starter? We have Red bottom plastic waterers and a feeder...Our weather is expected to be in the 80's & 90's over the next few days, can I leave them outside for any amout of time? They are approx 1 month old silkies....ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Sounds like you have everything they will need. You said they are a month old~ they will probably have feathers and you may not need the lamp~ make sure if you use the lamp don't let the light rest on the box those things get super hot. And just be careful leaving them outside... Will they be covered and safe from predators?? Hawks could snatch one up real quick. I kept my dogs outside with my to for added protection and I also have lots of shiny things! You can take them outside just keep an eye on them to make sure the little ones stay safe! Welcome from SC [​IMG]

3. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Thank you!! I am totally stoked, [​IMG] but extremely nervous..almost as nervous as I was when I brought my two kids home! I wish that they were a bit younger, but I am also glad that they are past the tricky stage since this is our 1st go around with chicks! IF they go outside it will be on our covered front porch with a gate and a screen on top! I just wondered if they would be ok temp wise during the day since our house is much cooler inside that it will be outside!

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    My first batch was outside in their tractor/run at 4 weeks BUT they are LF and it was August. I would think they would be fine during the day. At 4 weeks you are down to a recommended temp of 80 or so anyway.

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Once they are fully feathered they can regulate their body temp better.
    Just monitor them and see how they react to your house temps. If they stay puffed up alot then they are cold and could use a warmth source. Depends on how cold you keep the house.

6. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Around 69-70 degrees.....we dont like heat! lol! What will they eat at that age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by