Help!!!!

WillowWoodsFarm

Songster
13 Years
Nov 17, 2010
New York
One of my eggs had a pip at 10 this morning. Couple hours later, it finally got through the membrane and the egg is broken about a nickel size and another egg pipped (small pip and has a small hole in the membrane). How do I know if it is going to need help or something? They are both peeping but not really making much progress. How long does it usually take? Also, the membrane is very white, is this ok?

Im just so scared and dont want them to die because of my negligence. I knew that you shouldnt help unless you absolutely have to but then I started thinking...would I really know when that would be? lol. I can see the one chick and it just looks like it is working soooo hard and not getting anywhere. Im in for a looooong night. I appreciate the help, thanks!

Last edited:
For the most part, as long as they are through both membranes and can breathe, let them be. Hot2Pot is right, it can take 24 hours for the hatch to complete. Just keep your humidity up (70% or better) to help keep the membranes from drying up and they should be fine.

ok, its at 70% now. I was alittle worried that it was starting to go up but now I will make sure it stays up there. How long after pipping should they break through the membrane before I start worrying?

let the egg be!!
smile.png

It's unlikely you'll stop worrying
smile.png
Just try to be patient and let them rest! If you pull them out too soon they won't get all the blood that is still circulating in the membrane. I'll be honest though, if they were my chicks I'd check them first thing tomorrow morning and if they haven't gotten any farther I'd help.

Thank you so much, guys! Im sure my worrying wont stop until its all done, lol. I have a couple of more that are rocking...YAY! I love BYC so much, everyone has been so helpful and has really made our experience special! THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!
love.gif

I agree with karimw. i've got 2 that have done the same thing i'm going to get some sleep and see if they need help tomorrow morning, figured i'd be more helpful if not shattered if i have to assist.
Good luck
fl.gif

Thank you! I will assess the situation in the morning, if nothing happens before that. I will keep everyone posted on their progress. I will try to figure out how I update this thread so I dont have to start another one or I will just continue on this one. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for my little chickies
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom