help!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thatoneguy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Medieval England, Iowa
    my silkie hen has been broody for a while and now there are new babys one of them looks like its bowels are hanging out and its embilicle cord is still attached, help!!!!

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Clean it up, isolate the baby so as the other chicks can not peck at it but they can still see and hear each other. I used Vetericyn spray this spring when I had the same thing happen. Just spray it on 2-3 times a day ( mine only took less than 24 hrs. ) till it is healed. It's wonderful stuff and works wonders but pricy. But on the other hand Take a pic of the baby now and then after you treat with Vetericyn, go on their website and submit what you did to save the chick. They will send you a full size bottle of it for FREE. It makes the inital cost much better. Good luck.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are you sure it's the intestines or is it the yolk sac? If the intestines, there isn't much you can do other than euthanize it. It can't live because the hole will close over with intestines outside the body and it will close over quite soon. If it's the yolk sac, the yolk should absorb into the body. If the cord is dragging the shell around and is relatively dry, it can be snipped with scissors to detach so the shell won't drag on the innards.

4. thatoneguy

Jun 27, 2011
    Medieval England, Iowa
    Quote:the embilicle cord is wet but not atached to the egg
    what does the yolk sack look like

5. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Oh yeah I also, after it was cleaned up, had to keep pushing the innards back in till it closed. I have a beutiful spoiled rooster now named Lucky.
    It can work if you give it a try.

This is my Lucky. Give the chick and the Vetericyn a chance.

[​IMG]

6. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    How Is the baby? I'm dyeing to know if it made it or what happened..

7. thatoneguy

Jun 27, 2011
    Medieval England, Iowa
    its dead [​IMG] this is the first time one of my chickens dead [​IMG] we buried him(or her i dont know) today [​IMG]

8. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    [​IMG] Aww, so sorry for your loss, unfortunatly life hands us lemons sometimes. [​IMG] I guess that little one wasnt meant to be. [​IMG]

9. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG] So sorry your little one didn't make it. Do you have any Vetericyn? Might want to get some to have on hand. Sorry but I just can't say enough good things about the stuff, cause it's great.
    Sorry again.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    X2 on the vetericyn, but it sounds like this one wouldn't have been saved if it had internal parts out of the abdomen.

I'm really sorry you lost your chick! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by