help!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imbdea08, Aug 4, 2011.

1. imbdea08

imbdea08 New Egg

Feb 22, 2011
    i have RR and she started laying eggs but we are trying to hatch them so from what day do you call day one is it the day they lay it or is it the next day and also we have 2 incubators one for turning and the other for hatching when do we whitch to the hatching one can somebody please whats the best way to hatch these eggs i have already messed 4 up whats the best temp and humity alll that great stuff

2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    check the hatching and raising chicks forum .... lots of good info there.

3. DTRM30

May 25, 2009
    In general - these are basics .... to give you an idea. But do check the hatch/raising chicks area - .... do your research before trying to hatch ....

to start - the eggs have to fertile - do you have a rooster ? If not, the eggs won't hatch.

Day one is the day that the eggs are "set" - or placed in the incubator at the proper temp and humidity. Otherwise, store them big end up, pointy end down, in a cool area - not more than 5-10 days. If you don't have an automatic egg turner, they will need to be turned manually about 3 times per day.

The temp needs to be a steady 99.5 degrees - and humidy is about 40-50% until the last few days. On day 19, you don't open the incubator and increase the humidity. Don't remove any chicks until they all hatch. They will be fine for a day or two while the rest continue to hatch.

You then place the chicks in a brooder - which is a box/area set up with newspaper, chick food, water and a heat lamp. Under the heat lamp the temp should read about 95 - and they need room to get away from the heat if so desired. Be sure the brooder is big enough to house them for about 6-8 weeks. They grow fast and will need a lot more room at the end then when the first hatch.

The heat lamp in the brooder is gradually raised once each week, gradually decreasing the temp under it by about 5 degrees per week. Once they are all feathered out, they are ready to move to their grower pen.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Wow, that was really helpful for me at least! One question though, before you "set" them, do they need to be turned 3 times a day? I am unclear on that.

5. DTRM30

May 25, 2009
    No, they don't need to be turned until you set them. The turning keeps the developing embryo from "sticking" to one side of the egg, and keeps them evenly heated (under momma, she rotates them from the inside of the circle to the outside of the circle and back again) I could be wrong on this ... but it's what I've been told.

The average incubation time is 21 days - sometimes a day shorter or longer if the temp is off ... after day 19 you don't turn them anymore - so the chick can orient itself in the egg, and pip. it needs to break the internal membrane - into the air cell, to start breathing, then it will zip - and break open the outer shell to hatch. Some zip really quick (I've seen it done in 10 minutes) - others take a long time (i've seen them take 24 hours to get out).

But again, I've only hatched a few times - check the hatching and raising threads - they will be more than happy to help you out with suggestions, temps, humidity, incubators and anything else you can think of.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by