1. FLGardenguy

FLGardenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    My hen is walking like she's got rocks in her pants...walking kind of low slung...somewhat of a waddle...she doe'snt look happy...she's eating and getting around but not at ease...any idea?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Sounds like she is eggbound. Put her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside for about 20 minutes. Then put on a disposable glove and put olive oil on your finger and insert it into her vent checking for obstructions, remove your finger and lube around her vent area with olive oil. The warm water will expand her innards allowing the stuck egg to move along by you massaging her. The finger in vent helps stretch it so the egg can fit through and be easily laid, the olive oil helps it slip out easier.

3. FLGardenguy

FLGardenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    Its funny because the other day i caught her standing in the egg box worrying over an egg and i got to see it plop out...later i picked it up and it was really misshappen and wrinkled....is she egg bound?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:In the instance of standing in the nest box to lay, that is normal for them to do that. A mishapen or wrinkled egg isnt...the excessive heat can cause this. Try and keep an eye on the shape of her eggs for awhile. If they dont return to normal, there could be something going on that might need to be addressed later on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by