Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenFanatic447, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh god, my favourite little chick, my Welsummer has been acting weird lately and not doing anything at all really but sleeping (she hardly even eats and drinks), I thought it was normal and she would be fine, but I just went to go check on them and she is breathing heavily and can't move or get up, I thought she was dead at first and got into tears, but she gave a feeble chirp. Her head is limp, she can't move at all and I'm really worried, any help? I don't want to lose her.

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Are the temps right in the brooder, are any of the other displaying any symptoms indicating disease such as cocci? (bloody stools etc) How old are the chicks?

3. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    She is 9 days, the temperature is perfect for her age I was told, I ran to ask my friends who are experienced with raising chickens and they aren't home. She is starting to gasp for air and it is really scaring me, please, help. I love this chick so much, she was the sweetest and now she is to weak to move or eat/drink. Oh god..

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    First off, take a deep breath...second...has she had anything to drink? You could try giving her some sugar water and some poly vi sol baby vitamins. That gasping doesn't sound good at all....mine didn't make it after the gasping began. Sorry about your little one. Hopefully someone can help you better than I can. If you think she could have coccidia...she doesn't have to have bloody stools, start her on corid. Since she is too weak to eat and drink, you need to try to feed her some smashed up boiled egg and try and get some nutrition going. Get the egg boiling and try and get some sugar water in her. I hope she makes it for you, good luck [​IMG]

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

so sorry:hugs

6. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Definitely get some fluids and nutrition in her. I hope she is ok. Sending good thoughts your way. [​IMG]

7. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    She just died.. R.I.P Hazel, 9 days old.

She's going to be missed, she was hands down the sweetest chick out of the bunch.

8. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    So sorry for your loss...sometimes they go down so fast we just do not even have time to react [​IMG]

9. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    anybody know how to upload a profile picture so it shows on the post????

10. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

Hazel with my little brother before her death, she was a great little Welsummer.

- You press Img between quote and underline above the smilies and insert the html code there (obtain the html by uploading it to picture sharing websites such as photobucket or tinypic).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by