Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    will one cracked egg ruin a whole batch of eggs if the mama is sitting on them?????

2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Quote:What do you mean? Did an egg crack underneith the hen?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Remove the cracked egg and replace the nesting material if yolk and egg white have soiled the nest.I would also remove as much of the yolk and debris from the other eggs as is possible.

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    no not at all. you still have a good chance they all will hatch. just clean the nest the best as possable and see if you can get momma off to dry up a little. when i had one brake momma was not having leaving her nest at all. so i just left her be. and we had 4 out of 5 hatch

5. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yeah i just found out today that all the eggs had rotted except for one. a chick had formed when we cracked it open but it was dead [​IMG] . i buried it and gave it a little memorial in my pet cemetery outside my house. now i have to start over again [​IMG]

6. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    AWWW! How disheartening! [​IMG] We had some of those! [​IMG] We didn't know the egg was rotten, but we dropped it trying to clean out nest box, eeyooo! We had 3 broodies. out of about 2 doz eggs we had 11 hatch. If your hen is still broody, just put some more eggs under her. I know it's hard to start over. 21 days seems like forever when you are waiting!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  7. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Well den bless your heart! I'm sorry 21 days is very long when your waiting then Disappointing when they don't hatch mine were cheeping. And I left my dog. (bad idea, he's an egg stealer) and he ate them [​IMG] so I'm back to day one myself. Put more eggs under her and try try again. Good luck

8. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
  9. blaiml

blaiml New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    I had one broken egg in the nesting box with 5 un-broken eggs, are the un-broken eggs safe to eat?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by