Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bearchell, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Bearchell

Bearchell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Hi, I have been incubating eggs for the first time these past few weeks and they were due to hatch on the 16th. It is now the nineteenth and with no peeping, pipping, movement, and a very uncertain candling I had written them off as gonners. I had started with a dozen and chucked 3 along the way leaving me with nine. Now today I went to toss the lot of them in my backyard. I put them in a clear back and tapped the top with a tiny pebble to see if any would go off like a bomb or not cause there was a funky smell, two of the shells cracked super easily. I flaked open a hole through the membrane into the airsac on one and saw veins and movement. In a panic I took the lot of them back in and stuffed them back into the incubator where they sit now. Is there a hope for the opened egg? Is it possible any other might hatch? I had no hope seeing as the bulb burn out on like day 18 or 17 or somethign and the temperature dropped to 75 in the night. And also it may have been my thermometer acting up but the temperature was fluctuating quite bad somewhere in the midst of the whole ordeal. My final question is, if I have had them tilting back and fourth on an egg carton for the whole time, do i leave them in there vertically now or should they be placed on one side? they are vertical at the moment. I am not expecting any to hatch but would be ecstatic if i could rescue even one.

Thanks!

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    First [​IMG] Second with a temp drop it can slow the hatching make sure the temp is 99 to 100* and humidity is around 70 to 75 %. Watch them close as long as you saw veins and movement the [​IMG] should be okay.
    Michele

3. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    ive had ones hatch around 25-28 days but ide say that at day 30 there dead

4. Bearchell

Bearchell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Okay thanks guys. I have the humidity around there and the temp is at a steady 100 as it has been the whole time. I am watching it and it seems like its not moving and just when i am about to leave and have assumed it dead i see a little heartbeat or movement. Should I put a tiny tiny drop of water into what would have been the airsac to moisten the membrane thats now exposed? or would that just ultimately drown the poor guy if he/she did make it out?

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    No. Just leave it be. They are either strong enough to make it or they are not. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Michele

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by