Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gracegirl16, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Gracegirl16

Gracegirl16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    One of my hens just started laying yesterday. Earlier I noticed an egg hanging out from her rear. Will she push it the rest of the way out on her own or do I need to help?

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes pullets lay very large double yoke eggs. I would try rubbing some vasiline around her vent and the egg. Push the egg in a little if you need to in order to get things lubricated.

3. peepblessed

Is she doing okay?

4. Gracegirl16

Gracegirl16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks so much! It worked!!! [​IMG]. Bessie is doing great! The egg actually wasn't a double yoker. It was about 3/4 the size of an average egg. I guess, being a newbie, it was tough for her or something? Is there anything more I can do to make the next egg laying experience as stress free as possible for her?

[​IMG]

The brown egg is hers.
    Also, the more rounded end of the egg was rough. Any ideas why that is? (Sorry for all the questions! This is my first time having chickens)

5. peepblessed

I would keep a very close eye on her. Pullets ususally lay nearly everyday after they start. She will probably be fine but could need help again. So glad all is well! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by