1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    To make a loooong story short my RIR 15 week old pullet ate to much bread at the same time! How do you get bread out of a chickens throat!?!?

2. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    She can't swallow it all the way and its been like that since yesterday!! [​IMG]

3. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Try and get her to drink water? Use a dropper maybe??

4. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:I'll try but I tried to open her beak to smell if it started rotting and she won't let me...But I'll try!!

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I'll try but I tried to open her beak to smell if it started rotting and she won't let me...But I'll try!!

Just grasp her gently and put your thumb and four finger on either side of her beak, press, hang on, and open and then put the dropper in to see if that helps soften the bread to get it down.
    If you can get another person to help you hold her do that, it may be easier.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  6. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    The best way to treat an impacted crop is to pour a little warmed olive oil or liquid paraffin into the throat to lubricate the impaction (you will probably need to use a dropper or a syringe for this) and then suspend her upside down while massaging her crop and move the contents outwards towards her mouth. Ensure you allow her breaks to let her take breaths or she can sufficate. Be very careful doing this and take your time or you can cause lots of damage but it's your best hope without veterinary intervention. Sometimes impactions such as this can cause permanent distension to the crop which can lead to further bouts so you need to be vigilant with her future care. Good luck.

7. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I am so glad you commented.

8. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    So, how is she doing?

9. Chick1043