1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ClareScifi, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    new mama pecking at just hatched chicks--blood what do i do?

2. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Take the chicks away from her? Not sure if it is the right thing to do, but maybe separate her from them until someone with more experience comes along. They need to be kept in a warm draft free area.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the chick dry an fluffy? I would definitely remove it. You might try again later after blood is gone but sounds iffy to me. [​IMG]

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    i have her on my tummy poor baby

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I did take the chick and hold it on my tummy until I got some help. Have it in a box now under a heat light but the thermometer says only 88 degrees F. I put pine shavings in the box. Seems to drink water off my finger. I have some food in there.

The Mama seems to have gotten the other 2 chicks back under her. I almost wish I could put them in with the other to help keep her warmer, but I don't know whether that would be a good idea.

I think Mama was upset because this is her first hatch and she still has eggs to hatch and the chicks were escaping and she was trying to get them back under her but pecked a bit too hard.

I don't know whether Mama would accept this one back with all the blood. Was afraid to try.

How do I treat the wounds?

6. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Neosporin. Sending a little chicken prayer your way.

7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Do I just dab it on or what? Can I get it at the Dollar Store? (Nearby, close)

8. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i had a hen hatch 3 eggs and pecked them to death after hatching, id monitor the other chicks to

9. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    One looks okay. I haven't seen the 2d.

10. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I read that sometimes a stepmother hen (which this one is) will recognize that the chicks are not her breed, and she savages them because they are a different breed. I'm wondering whether this might be the cause? Was that the case when your hen pecked 3 to death-- they were a different breed from her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by