Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bridgetteanne, Sep 29, 2011.

1. bridgetteanne

bridgetteanne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    I have a broody hen who hatched 2 eggs last Saturday , she still had 7 under her. she was sitting on them fine, so i thought. I went out there today and the eggs are cold. can i save them or are they done for?????? i have a heat lamp on them right now. just wanting to know if its a lost. [​IMG] help would be great.

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Candle them and see?? If they were all layed before she started sitting.....then bad for sure. But if your coop is like mine and every other layer keeps adding to the broodies nest daily....they might still be in the works.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, candle them and look for movement in the airspace especially. They should be all dark except for the airspace. [​IMG]

4. bridgetteanne

bridgetteanne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Quote:Candle them and see?? If they were all layed before she started sitting.....then bad for sure. But if your coop is like mine and every other layer keeps adding to the broodies nest daily....they might still be in the works.

yes that is exactly what happen. so I did the water test. and all but one floated just a little to the top and from my understand of the water test that means they are still good to hatch ( right) so I brought them into the house. ( my hen is done with her eggs as far as i can tell) I have a heat lamp on them. I do not have an incubator nor the money to go get one. Im hoping this will work i just have to rotate them. they should be hatching in the next couple of days. as far as i know anyway any more advice or tips would be great. OR if i read it wrong and my eggs are bad PLEASE let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by