Help

NorthestGeorgia14

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 14, 2011
Rome Ga
How do i make my Black Lab stop chasing cars we live on a old country road and not many cars past by . And when they do she chase them. She as going better with it but she still do it.

Keep her leashed or get her a runner while she's outside. I have a black lab, and he required ALOT of training to turn him into the dog he is today. He would chase and chew anything and everything. Good luck!

how old is she?

step 1: if she is properly confined/restrained then she won't be able to chase.

the next steps really depend on why she is chasing. Is she trying to scare them away or is it just fun to chase them?
I'd consult a good trainer in your area and have them come out to observe her. They can recommend the best course of action after that

I would confine her instead of taking chances for the time being. Then you could set up a training session(s) by having a friend or family member drive by while you keep the dog on a leash. Do this consistently and correct her when she tries to chase. Also, it is important to FIRST work on your recall. That has been the number one thing that has helped me when my dog chases things. If your dog comes immediately when you call her name, then as soon as she begins to chase you can call her and she should return.

Just an addition:

Don't go out and just start screaming at her or tugging on the leash when she goes to chase. A good trainer can show you the correct way to correct a dog. The number one problem at our rescue is that people don't know how to properly correct a dog and we end up with both a frustrated dog AND owner.

Ok thanks she is 2 years old so to old to be train she have got better . I'm teaching her and she learning just couple of months ago she would chase anything now she only chase 1 car day and that the mail lady

2 years old is not too old to train. I recommend an obedience class. Labs are very intelligent and learn quite readily.

Well you know what she might not be 2 years old . I got her a year ago . She well train she just don't the mail lady car . She is really sweet i mean she will do anything just for a pet.

Quote:
leash laws or not....it is irresponsible to let your dog run loose. That's how dogs get hit by cars or shot by neighbors who don't want her on their land. It's only a matter of time. Please confine your dog for the dog's safety.

Back
Top Bottom