HELp!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by branston, Oct 18, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Big Mama (Silkie) has been with her two chicks in a brooder in my dining room since she hatched them, Sept 21st. At four weeks old, I thought it would be a good idea to get Mama and chicks back with the flock (I have 5 other Silkies, 1 being a roo). She has been such a great Mama taking care of the chicks, biting me when I put my hand in to change water etc. So, I took them out to the coop and run in my cat box and placed it in the run for 30 minutes, then I opened the door of the box at the coop door thinking Mama would want to take her chicks in there......nope.......she went in and came right back out. So I put the box back on the ground and oped the door. Big Mama came running out, promtly squated for the rooster and then grabbed Stevie Nicks (one of my white Silkies) by the hair on the top of her head and dragged her around that way until I pulled them apart! The chicks refused to come out of the cat box......I've been sat there for two hours waiting for Big Mama to come get the chicks but nope! She was off having a dust bath with the rooster!!!! I have now left the chicks in the cat box on the ground in the run with the door locked........what do I do now??????? Do I just leave the chicks to come out on their own? I have another broody Silkie setting in the coop....what is she likely to do to the chicks? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help, but I have to laugh! Big Mama, sounds like, is tired of that gig, and is liberating herself from her chicks. It's about time at four weeks. If you think they need additional supervision, help in acclimating to the flock, you may just have to do it yourself. In other words, from this point on, consider them your chicks and finish raising them.

3. branston

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I know.....poor Big Mama! Sat on her eggs for 21 days and has then been stuck in the brooder with the chicks for a month! I'd probably want to do the same! Get laid and then pull someone's hair!!!! Teeeeeeee heeeeeeeee!!! I so hope that doesn't offend anyone.........it was a joke.....
    Well I went back out there and opened the door. The chicks came out and ran to Mama and Papa (who, I must say, is doing a great job at being a first time daddy)! Tina Turner had a few pecks at the chicks but I think that was because the chicks are a little confused on who is Mama now. Big Mama still won't let Stevie Nicks get a look in at the chicks, nor Debbie Harry (my other white Silkie......she obviously has a problem with blondes)! And poor Chrissie Hynde is still completely oblivious in the coop in "Broody Land". So far, all is good.....will keep you posted.......phew!

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I have to agree with the above poster. Big Mama has decided her mama duties are over and has left her chicks to fend for themselves. Basically, she told you they're your problem now. [​IMG] You can either leave them to integrate with the flock on their own, which if the chicks aren't too much smaller than the adults will most likely work out fine, or you can take the chicks and care for them yourself and reintroduce them to the flock when they're a little bigger.

How long a mother hen stays with her chicks really varies drastically. I had one hen raise a chick for 4 weeks this summer, then she started pecking it on the head and running it off; she was definitely done with that chick.

On the other hand, I have one hen that is still doing the devoted mama bit with a 9-week-old chick. She was in a separate pen with her chick, but she decided one day a couple weeks ago while out freeranging with the rest of her flock that it was time to go back into the coop. She took her chick with her, though, and has been sleeping in one of the nest boxes with baby since then. When out freeranging, she still stays right by that chick's side, often away from the rest of the flock just doing their own thing, and when any of the other hens come around, she attacks them with the fury only an angry mama can muster. It's actually pretty funny because her chick is almost bigger than her now, but she's still running the other chickens off when they come around it.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm crying from laughing! I needed that! HAHAHA

6. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

When my broody hatched chicks- I learned one valuable lesson... Let them be. At 4 weeks, they are going to be fine and mama will probably step in if there is danger. If anyone locked me up with my kids for a month, I would behave irrationally at the first break myself. I don't think I would be in the mood for romance, but I would definitely be in the corner of the coop with a bottomless bottle of wine...

7. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:X2 ... in a BIG WAY!!! This is a great thread - still ROTFLOL!!! [​IMG]

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:My broody does that exact thing. I have a small separate coop for her. She stays in the big coop but sectioned off from the others till 2-3 days after hatching, then she takes them herself to the other coop. Once they get around 6-9 weeks old, she moves the whole family back into the big coop and after a week or two finally tells them to shove off for good. But she never is super bossy to them like the others are. For some reason it's almost like she knows who they are and just doesn't pick on them much.

She's such a great momma and broody, I feel lucky having the crazy thing. She does the strangest things and keeps me laughing.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  9. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:My broody does that exact thing. I have a small separate coop for her. She stays in the big coop but sectioned off from the others till 2-3 days after hatching, then she takes them herself to the other coop. Once they get around 6-9 weeks old, she moves the whole family back into the big coop and after a week or two finally tells them to shove off for good. But she never is super bossy to them like the others are. For some reason it's almost like she knows who they are and just doesn't pick on them much.

She's such a great momma and broody, I feel lucky having the crazy thing. She does the strangest things and keeps me laughing.

Yes, this hen and a couple game cross hens we have are the best broodies and mamas in the flock. It cracks me up to watch them sometimes though.

10. branston

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Well.....it's 7 26 pm here in Chesapeake, Virginia, and all is well in"Rooster's Hen House". I went out at 6 and Big Mama was laying on the ground of the run with a chick under each wing. I guessed the chicks couldn't figure out the ramp, so picked all three up and placed them in the coop. Shut the door on the others for 10 minutes until the chicks and Mama settled down (Chrissie Hynde is still in the coop totally oblivious, in broody land!). Opened it and they they all went in, Debbie Harry and Stevie Nicks (although she was a little appreHENsive to say the least!) too! Checked in on them 10 minutes ago and there's Big Mama.....a chick under each wing (I knew she wouldn't let me down!) Rooster was close by, proud daddy, Stevie Nicks, Debbie Harry and Tina Turner were all snuggled up together and Miss Chrissie was deep in La la Land! Phew!! What a day! Gotta love em! Goodnight everyone and thanks for the tips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by