Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xrayjwd, Nov 7, 2011.

1. xrayjwd

xrayjwd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    Two things: 1) I am proud owner of 6 chickens 3 about two months old and 3 two week old. the older ones live in the coop outside and the new ones are in the warmer. Do the older ones need a warmer in coop. We live in Phx., AZ and the temp is around 45 to 50 for the low.
    2) is it difficult to put the three new ones with the older three?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    are the younger ones all feathered out?
    you shouldn't need added heat...unless you see them huddled and looking cold.

the only way to put the 3 younger ones in with the older ones is to do something like this:
    [​IMG]

keep them apart but let them see each other. I would let the older girls outside to free range, and close off the run,
    letting the younger ones out. At night,I scooped up the little ones and placed them back in the cage with their
    own food and water.

You have to do this (or something similar) for several weeks till they get used the little ones.
    Eventually you let them mingle...be ready to jump in...and make sure the little ones have someplace to run to hide
    because they WILL get pecked on....natures rules..pecking order has to be established.

They will work it out, the tough part is knowing when to walk away and let them do so.

Ideally the little ones should be around the same size as the oldest ones.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    here is our coop in a coop.

our little ones are 8 weeks today and we keep them seperate so they can see eachother but not peck eachother. The plan is to intergrate them around 12 weeks.

The older ones do not need a warmer. I live in CT and temps have dropped into the 30's at night. as long as you are draft free with good ventilation, your birds should be fine. although I guess the breed plays a large factor... ours are RIR's, Ameraucana's and BR's - "cold hardy"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Top of the Hill
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Very COOL!!!

6. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I hope they are fully feathered out!!! if they are, then it should be fine. and [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by