HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lea71, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just walked out on the back patio and a baby hummingbird had fallen out of its nest. I know this isn't a chicken emergency but does anyone know anything about caring for baby hummingbirds?? It's tiny.....eyes closed, barely any feathers.....I have no idea what to do. I put some of the feeder sugar water in an eyedropper and it's eating it. It fell about eight feet to the ground. I went to put it back in the nest but their is another egg and apparantly no room to put the baby back in. Do you think the mom kicked it out??? If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.....my heart is just racing right now....this thing is sooooo tiny.

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I know nothing about these things so I would have to call around to the vets and see if there was a rescue in the area that raises baby birds. Good luck.

3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    hello...Okay, I wouldn't give him anything else to eat or drink--used to do wildlife rescue. [​IMG] Keep him in a safe box that is warm--he needs warmth right now. Here are some links to some bird rescues in CA:
    http://www.ibrrc.org/so_cal_center.html
    http://www.ibrrc.org/rehab_program.html
    Or just google "wild bird rescue in California" and you'll get a lot more locations--you need to contact a wildlife rescue now! He need to be fed very soon, but again, don't attmept to do this yourself!
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    God bless,
    Tracey

4. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay....thank you for replying.....I googled some info and we put it back in the nest. Momma came back and is now sitting on it. I'm gonna watch it closely. We set up something to cushion the fall if it gets kicked out or falls out again. We do have a wildlife rescue about 30 mins. away....if it happens again, I'm going to take it there. Thank you so much.....I panicked!!![​IMG]

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Oh, good! I was going to suggest to put it back in but you had said there was no room(I thought), so I just was trying to think of the next step. Good idea about cushioning the fall! [​IMG]
    God bless,
    Tracey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by