Help!!!!

littlecreekfarm

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Virginia
ok so my 8 month old Black aust pullet is coughing a little, sneezing and has a horse voice. she went to a show Saturday and i'm worried about her. please if there is anything i can do let me know and she is my most favorite chicken i love her sooo much please im soo worried!!!! she looks healthy, comg is red, eyes are clear, walks and all.

It sounds like she might have a respiratory infection. One of mine had a cough and was wheezing. I injected her with 1/2 cc of Tylan 50 and it cleared it right up. I got a 27 guage syringe from the CVS Pharmacy, which is a very small guage, and she didn't complain. the injection is given in the breast tissue.

ok thanks. she isn't weezing or anything just sneezing and has a horse voice when she clucks or whatever and coughs every now and then......she has also been in a pen with 4 young pullets and has been chasing and pecking them for the last 2 days and has been clucking and going bak, bak, for a few days b/c she'sused to free-ranging but shes penned up now....could her voice just be sore? even if she doesn't have a respitory infection would it hurt to treat her anyway?? could it just be a common chicken cold? I have VetRx would that help?

Last edited:
At 8 months old... have you wormed?

How old is the rest of your flock? Have you had a routine for worming? When, with what? Repeated?

Worms and parasites can cause a variety of symptoms... strangely, even limping and even "respiratory" symptoms, lethargy, death...

Please, pay attention and closely observe every detail and symptom of every chicken in the flock. Also, watch the poop.. follow them around and check the poop... but, remember, just because you don't see worms doesn't mean they don't have them.

If you have never wormed the flock.. or used a wormer that does not kill all worms... use the SEARCH here on BYC to search for "Worming with Valbazen".... it must be given individually, orally, with caution to avoid the windpipe...

You can trust info from dawg53 on worming.... look for more recent years posts. If you have wormed, recently, twice, with Valbazen or Zimecterin Gold, orally and individually... then, there are Antibiotics -- both wormers and antibiotics are available at the local Feed Store... Tetracycline (Duramycin 10) can be added to the water for the whole flock and her individually... 1 tsp. per gallon.. giving only that water with the antibiotic in it, only what they will drink in 24 hours, changing it daily... repeat daily for at least 3 days for the flock (no symptoms) and maybe for 5 to 7 days for her.

If you choose Tylan 50... give it three days in a row... alternating sides... it does damage to the breast tissue to inject anything, but sometimes is necessary. Feed store has syringes, needles and the Tylan 50.

Good luck.. better info, more experience by using the Search here on BYC.
Take care...

Quote:
i just wormed the entire flock with Valbazen about 2-3 weeks ago. we didn't repeat it but we had just wormed them 4 weeks earlier than that.

ok so this is the third day that i know Nugget's been sneezing and stuff. Well today, her voice is normal but she is still doing the thing that they do when they drink water??? like a little sneeze almost? someone told me it was to get anything in their throat out. Could she just have something clogged in her throat? and since her voice is better maybe that means she has coughed it up a little??? please anyhelp is greaty appreciated!!!!!

Quote:
x2
Littlecreekfarm. You can also give the tylan 50 injectable orally, same dosage mentioned above, once a day x 5 days. No more than 5 days. Pull her wattles down and her mouth will open, squirt it in her mouth and release the wattles so she can swallow it on her own.

Back
Top Bottom