Help!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kittykittykitty, Dec 18, 2011.

1. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    Last night, something, somehow, broke into my coop, spilled my chickens food, and tore my hens combs to shreds!!!!!!!! What is it?!??!?? How do I get rid of it?!!?!?

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Any tracks? The first step though is identifying what it is and where it got in, and closing up that entrance.

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Just sorry is all i can say, I do have one of those predator lights that flashes red and runs on solar power. It is working for me so far.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think it matters less what it is than figuring out how it got inside your coop, and fixing that problem. You say it "broke into" your coop? What was broken?

p.s. remember, rats and mice can squeeze through pretty small openings. Try to close up any openings larger than 1/2" by 1/2".

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Sound like rats.

6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Without a lot more information, it would be impossible for us to tell you what it was. It could have been anything, really.

7. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Rats. I had one chew a hole in my pullet overnight trying to eat her crop, thank god it didn't eat it, just the skin over top. I know it was rats bc I promptly set up live traps the next night and caught 3 rats in 5 nights.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Once you get the coop secure I would then set a live trap and some rat snap traps outside the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by